Area Historical Society
218 N. Farmer St.,
Otsego, Michigan 49078 ~ Phone: 269.692.3775
Otsego is located in SW lower MI
Museum Location / Map
The Otsego Area Historical Society
dedicated its new museum building on Friday, September 24, 2004
in a beautiful ceremony attended by nearly one hundred guests.
The cheerful crowd heard inspirational and congratulatory speeches by
Society board member Craig Sisson (master of ceremonies), Kevin Feuka from
Capital Consultants Engineers, Sandra Clark from the Michigan Historical Center,
Jeff Volker of Menasha Corp., and Mayor Joel Thompson. Sisson and others honored local historian Ed Goodsell, whose
love for history and for Otsego will never be forgotten.
His wife Frances attended
the ceremony and took part in the
ribbon-cutting ceremony. Also
praised were City Commissioner Bruce Zantjer, who initiated the museum idea
several years ago, Jan Cushman, who brought the early planners face to face, and
Otsego’s Downtown Development Authority members, who actively supported and promoted the transformation of the waterworks building into a beautiful museum
Otsego Area Historical Society
Museum Grand Opening
After the ribbon cutting, all the guests proceeded into the museum with Frances
Goodsell and her granddaughter Lisa leading the way.
This was a special moment, complete with plenty of goose bumps for those
close to the Goodsell's and close to the museum project.
Visitors curiously investigated the building and the two opening
exhibits: a photographic history of Otsego, and an Otsego Public Schools’
student art show.
The Otsego Creative Arts Festival held on Saturday, September 25, 2004,
brought over 1000 visitors into the museum during a 7-hour period, and all
experienced a great time!
© Otsego Area Historical Society 2003-2012